Xvnc -inetd

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn "at" ringways.co.uk
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 16:42:36 +0000

On the KDE front, I downloaded the RH71 KDE and non-kde rpms from the KDE
site, then ran rpm -Uvh --nodeps *.  Once it finished, I couldn't do
anything, so I thought I'd reboot.  'shutdown -r now' segfaulted. Smacking
reset rebooted the box, then *everything* in my inittab failed for respawning
too fast.

I think xinetd is doing something, because if I remove the services, I get
connection refused.

I'm trying to connecting from linux with 'vncviewer gary:53' and from a
windows box with a link to 'vncviewer.exe /fullscreen /emulate3 gary:52'

The linux box I  was trying to connect from was 'gary' so I assume it was
using the lo interface.  I've got no ipchains/iptables rules on.

As far as I can see, I've got it exactly as I had it before, what I've missed
I can't guess.

Gary

On Sunday 26 August 2001  4:02 pm, Barn Owl wrote:
> What is the viewer command you are using? I am assuming that xinetd use
> teh same basic setup as inetd. have you tryed a port scan to be sure the
> ports are open. How bad did KDE2.2 munge your box? IT sounds like the
> port is not actually open.Do you have a firewall on the box?
>
> Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > before trying to install KDE2.2 hosed my system I used to have Xvnc set
> > up as a service through xinetd.  Now, when I try to set it up again it
> > doesn't work.  If I try to connect using a Linux viewer I get not a valid
> > server.
> >
> > If I connect using a Win32 viewer, I get invalid protocol.
> >
> > If I run Xvnc from the comand prompt as below, it works fine.
> >
> >  Xvnc :1 -query gary -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24 -once &
> >
> > My services file has:
> >
> > vnc-640x480x8   5950/tcp                        # VNC
> > vnc-800x600x8   5951/tcp                        # VNC
> > vnc-800x600x16  5952/tcp                        # VNC
> > vnc-1024x768x16 5953/tcp                        # VNC
> >
> > and  /etc/xinetd.d/vnc-1024x768x16  is:
> >
> > service vnc-1024x768x16
> > {
> >         socket_type             = stream
> >         protocol                = tcp
> >         wait                    = no
> >         user                    = nobody
> >         server                  = /usr/bin/Xvnc
> >         server_args             = Xvnc -inetd -query gary -once -geometry
> > 1024x768 -depth 16
> >         disable                 = no
> > }
> > [root "at" gary /root]#
> > --
> > Gary Stainburn
> >
> > This email does not contain private or confidential material as it
> > may be snooped on by interested government parties for unknown
> > and undisclosed purposes - Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, 2000
> to majordomo "at" uk.research.att.com

Gary Stainburn