fuzzy, grainy, jaggyness?

Michael Grant mg-vnc "at" grant.org
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:22:38 +0000

I just installed xvnc.  One of the first things I noticed was that
when I view the desktop with vncviewer, things look more grainy, fonts
have more jaggies, it's almost as if resolution was set wrong and I
was looking at something zoomed to fit on my screen.  Mostly what is
effected are fonts on the screen like in Netscape.  Though not *all*
the fonts.  Bold fonts seem to look worse than others.  I guess I
could say that they're not as smooth as they could be.  Is there
anyway to make things look better?

Some background: I'm running Xvnc on a Sun.  I started a server in
fullcolour mode, depth 24, 1152x900 (size of a sun monitor).  Then, I
started X in "failsafe" mode, i.e. just a single xterm and no window
manager.  Then I started vncviewer -fullscreen -fullcolour -depth 24
-shared.  The reason for doing this is so that I can get at my desktop
from anywhere.  Functionally it works great, it just doesn't look as
good as what I'm used to.

-Mike