AW: Need help: VNCviewer exits on startup when tunneled via SSH

Markus Wollny Markus.Wollny "at"
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 11:34:05 +0000

Hello and thanks for your advice.
Nr. 1 didn't do it, same outcome.
When telnetting into localhost, Port 5901, telnet seems to start up
(just the same as vncviewer) and is then shutting down again -
connection to host lost. I think I'll have to fiddle around with that
sshd again, though I am quite sure, that it's configured alright. So
there may be a bug with the scripts in the SuSE-rpm of OpenSSH 2.9p1-17.
I'll try to compile it from scratch next week.
Has anybody encountered the same behaviour and already found a solution?

	-----UrsprCB<ngliche Nachricht-----
	Von: Scott C. Best
	Gesendet: Sa 25.08.2001 06:30
	An: vnc-list "at"
	Cc: Markus Wollny
	Betreff: Re: Need help: VNCviewer exits on startup when tunneled
via SSH

	        Hello! Try this:
	1. Turn off SSH compression (the -C switch). Better/same/worse?
	2. Instead of connecting with the vncviewer, telnet into
	   localhost:5901. Does it connect to an "RFB" prompt?
	3. What version of viewer are you using? Might want to try
	   the Tridia or the TightVNC ones as alternatives.
	        Good luck!
	> Hello!
	> I'm using VNC to access a linux-box from my Win2k-workstation.
I got it
	> to work so far - alas not quite satisfactorily for my needs.
	> I'm using SuSE 7.0 on the linux box and OpenSSH for SSH on
port 22. The
	> linux-box and the workstation have got internal IPs in our LAN
as well
	> as external IPs (via NAT). What I need to do is set up VNC as
well as
	> SSH Secure File Transfer to the box to the external IP.
	> In a first step I just used the OpenSSH distribution that came
with SuSE
	> 7.0 - everything was running fine except Secure File Transfer,
	> couldn't work because that version of OpenSSH didn't feature
it. As the
	> SuSE 7.0 OpenSSH Distribution was suffering from a securitity
	> anyway, I got the latest RPM from SuSE (OpenSSH 2.9p1-17) and
	> sFTP was running flawlessly now, but VNC behaved strangely
	> Before upgrading, I set port-forwarding as follows:
	> ssh -C -L 5901:localhost:5901 -l myusername
	> I logged myself in with my password and started the vncserver
on the
	> linux-box with
	> vncserver -localhost :1
	> Then I startet vncviewer on my workstation using
	> vncviewer localhost:1
	> It worked fine. So I didn't change anything about that, not
even after
	> the upgrade.
	> Then I upgraded to OpenSSH 2.9p1-17. SFTP was now working.
Afterwards I
	> followed the very same steps - started up the tunnel, then the
	> and then tried to invoke vncviewer - but when I call it, it
just exits
	> without any error-message whatsoever.
	> When calling up a wrong IP or a wrong port intentionally when
	> vncviewer, I do get the standard error-message "Failed to
connect to
	> server". As I don't even get this message, I conclude that
there is a
	> tunnel alright. Still, doesn't help... It must have something
to do with
	> the upgrade to OpenSSH 2.9p1-17, as it was running fine before
with the
	> very same configuration.
	> Does anybody have a clue as to what I am doing wrong? I'd be
very much
	> obliged if anybody could help me with this one. I find VNC so
	> useful that I'd really hate considering working with the
	> only again...
	> Tanks a lot,
	>               Markus
	> This is my sshd_config:
	> Port 22
	> Protocol 2,1
	> ListenAddress
	> HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
	> HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
	> ServerKeyBits 768
	> LoginGraceTime 600
	> KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
	> AllowTcpForwarding yes
	> GatewayPorts yes
	> PermitRootLogin yes
	> IgnoreRhosts yes
	> StrictModes yes
	> X11Forwarding yes
	> X11DisplayOffset 10
	> PrintMotd yes
	> KeepAlive yes
	> SyslogFacility AUTH
	> LogLevel INFO
	> RhostsAuthentication no
	> RhostsRSAAuthentication no
	> HostbasedAuthentication no
	> RSAAuthentication yes
	> PasswordAuthentication yes
	> PermitEmptyPasswords no
	> ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
	> Subsystem     sftp    /usr/lib/ssh/sftp-server
	To unsubscribe, send a message with the line: unsubscribe
	to majordomo "at"
	See also:
to majordomo "at"
See also: