Resetting Xvnc using xdm

davidwestbury@netscape.net davidwestbury "at" netscape.net
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:05:42 +0000

Oh yes! I'm a happy man!

Thank you:

  * Evan - for introducing me to the -inetd -once options. This got me
           the connect behavior I've been looking for. Thanks again man.

  * Steve and egb - for clueing me in on -fp option.

I've been looking at VNC (off and on) for months but couldn't quite get
it to work the way I needed it to. Now it looks like I might be able to
eliminate Reflections and PCAnywhere. This is great!

The final piece of the puzzle was the tip about the -fp option. Apparently
the -inetd switch changes the way -fp works. It seems you must specify a font server when -inetd is specified. If a font path is specified with -inetd then Xvnc rejects the connection. I tried this on HP/UX 10.20 and Redhat Linux 7.1. Both platforms work when I specify a font server. Both fail when I specify a font path.

Here's what I found works:

  (Redhat 7.1):  -fp unix/:7100  (found this in XF86Config file)

  (HPUX 10.20):  -fp tcp/localhost:7000  (yes that's 7000)

My next objective is try and get browser access to work. But that's
icing on the cake. I have what I really need.

thanks again guys!

David