Bug in WinVNC: typing ^ enters power saving mode

Simon ElÚn simon_elen "at" hotmail.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:11:02 +0000

Hi,

There seems to be a bug in the way the VNC server for Windows handles certain
keystrokes. The VK-to-XK mapping table begins with:
    {'`',  XK_dead_grave},
    {'4',  XK_dead_acute},
    {'~',  XK_dead_tilde},
    {'^',  XK_dead_circumflex},
    {VK_BACK,  XK_BackSpace},
    {VK_TAB,  XK_Tab},
    [...]

This seems strange to me, as only keys A-Z and 0-9 are defined to have the
same VK as their ASCII code. The first three do work (by luck?) on my machine.
However, typing a ('^') in a VNC client causes the server to enter power
saving mode. Simply doing a
    keybd_event('^', 0, 0, 0);
    keybd_event('^', 0, KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0);
on the server machine causes the same behavoiur. This is on a Win98SE box with
Swedish keyboard layout.

Using Spy++ I see that typing ^ locally generates the VK 0xBA, which is (as
expected) not defined anywhere in my Windows SDK.

It would be interesting to see if other people have the same problem with this
(or some other) key giving unexpected results.

/Simon