Winnt won't update screen for user

Ph. Marek marek "at"
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 10:28:56 +0000

Hello everybody!

I have a problem.

I have installed Cygwin's openssh and vnc on Win NT 4 SP5.
I tested tightvnc 1.1p8, 1.2.0 and TridiaVNC 1.4.
Same problem with both: screen won't update for users.

If I'm logged on on the server as an administrator, both VNC's work fine -
fast and reliable updates. But if I log in as a normal user, the screen
won't update until I request a manual update.
Using PollForeground, PollUnderCursor and OnlyPollOnEvent won't help - just
the small 32x32 area under the mouse cursor gets painted, so the mouse
leaves a trail on the screen.

I tested PollFullScreen, but that's not practical - much too slow, too much
cpu usage, too high latency ...

Now the interesting thing: If I have on the user-screen a window which
belongs to LOCALSYSTEM or an administrator (eg by using "at x:x
/interactive cmd.exe"), it gets repainted as usual. Even other programs
started from this shell.

So, conclusio: Only windows belonging to a user won't be repainted.
I think that VNCHooks isn't able to register itself to the other windows
due to some security constraints (which are sometimes painful, especially
on NT).

Can somebody help me?

to majordomo "at"
See also: