Forks? (was Re: Tight VNC)

Freddy Jensen jensen "at" adobe.com
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:08:17 +0000

   >From: Illtud Daniel <illtud.daniel "at" llgc.org.uk>
   >Date: Thu Aug 23 2001  9:49am
   >To:   vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
   >Subj: Forks? (was Re: Tight VNC)
   >
   >Freddy Jensen wrote:
   >
   >> I have been following some of the email exchange
   >> reg. TightVNC, and I am curious about whether it
   >> will eventually be incorporated into the main
   >> codebase that is maintained at att?
   >
   >Me too! Seems to me that what with Tridia/Tight/AT&T versions
   >all forking off in different directions (somebody correct me
   >if I'm wrong & there's plans to merge diffs or patches) that
   >there's an overall loss to the user community as a whole. One
   >of the problems (I guess) is that what would traditionally be
   >compile-time options (under *ix) don't really work so well
   >when so many of the platforms VNC is available for aren't
   >platforms where people are used to compiling stuff <cough>
   >doze<cough> and so the project forks rather than grows. Pity.
   >
   >Is it possible to pull it all together again?
   >
   >--
   >Illtud Daniel                                 illtud.daniel "at" llgc.org.uk
   >Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst
   >Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru                  National Library of Wales
   >Yn siarad drosof fy hun, nid LlGC   -  Speaking personally, not for NLW

You are right.

At my company we use VNC extensively on Unix, Macs, and
Windows, but I do not plan on doing any site upgrade
until it is available through the att site so we know
that it is more or less officially supported.

It is a shame if these great initiatives are going to
diverge in all different directions. The end effect is
that very few people will use them and that they
eventually might get lost.

In my opinion, the VNC software is one of the most brilliant
and productivity enhancing pieces of software in the industry.

If these new initiatives (TightVNC, etc.) could be incorporated
in the main VNC codebase, then we would have an even better
product.

--
Freddy Jensen, Sr. Computer Scientist, Adobe Systems Incorporated
345 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110-2704, USA, Ph: (408) 536-2869