How to start WinVNC remotely?

Steve Palocz spalocz "at" tgtsolutions.com
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 18:09:36 +0000

one way would be to run winvnc -install to install the service and then net
start winvnc to start the service.

Just the configuration needs to be in the registry (specifically the
password) or it will have the properties page open waiting for a password to
be entered (and you can't connect).
(you can do this with a .reg file, install on a machine local and set the
password, then export the /hkeylm/software/orl/vnc and take that to the
other system.)

You will get the error you stated if there is no user logged in and you are
trying to use vnc in app mode.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com]On Behalf Of Hannes Har
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 12:44 PM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: How to start WinVNC remotely?

Hi to all!!!

Unfortunately I have forgotten to start WinVNC on a machine I can access by
Telnet and FTP. WinVNC does not run as a
service on this Windows2000 pro machine. If I type in "winvnc.exe" I can
connect to the machine and type in my password
but after this I receive the error message "connection closed". I guess this
problems refers to the fact that a windows program
started from a telnet session does not have a GUI. And WinVNC fails to
initialize the screen output in this szenario. The only
option I found (but somehow the WinVNC does not start) is using the winNT
"AT" command combined with the "interactive"
option:

at \\vergilius 12:21 /interactive cmd /c e:\TCPIP\Telnet\WinVNC\win32\winvnc

In this case the program "winvnc" will start at 12:21 using the normal
windows GUI. This trick is working to "tunnel" a
unidirectional firewall using the "winvnc -connect MyName.com" option to
direct the output in the opposite way when WinVNC
is already running as a service. But why I can`t start the winvnc program
this way without having an active service?

Any ideas what I can do to connect NOW to the PC that has not winvnc running
as a service?

Thanks in advance,

Hannes