VNC and Windows XP, and patch for 3.3.3r9 for Visual Studio .Net Beta 2

Andrew van der Stock ajv "at" greebo.net
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 04:32:50 +0000

Hi there,

I'm using Windows XP, and am wondering if anyone else is having fun trying
to make VNC work with it. VNC works, but as soon as I do a fast user switch,
the server doesn't seem to be happy.

I'm reasonably certain the problem relates to the TermSrv stuff built into
all XP boxes (even home edition as it also uses these functions for fast
user switching and remote desktop control). Now there are multiple Windows
stations, you need to use TermSrv functions to figure out which is the
current desktop and hook that. WTSQuerySessionInformation() is likely to be
our friend here.

It may be possible to develop a VNC protocol proxy for the Terminal Services
portion, such as Citrix does for ICA.

----

.net Beta 2 patch.

I've made VNC 3.3.3r9 viewer and server compile under Visual Studio .Net
beta 2. In vncviewer\ClientConnection.cpp, line 61 I had to comment out the
following. I'm not sure what this line does as there is no WndProc member
function anywhere, so as a definition it doesn't belong. Commenting out
doesn't cause any problems as it's never called.

// static LRESULT CALLBACK ClientConnection::WndProc(HWND hwnd, UINT iMsg,
WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam);

(Release)
18/08/2001  17:50           176,128 vncviewer.exe

(No_CORBA)
18/08/2001  20:28            53,248 omnithread_rt.dll
18/08/2001  20:28            11,776 VNCHooks.dll
18/08/2001  20:29           204,800 WinVNC.exe

As the redistributables aren't right now (!), I can't redistribute the
binaries I've made yet. Once this baby RTM's, you will need the Visual
Studio 7.0 RTL to use anything compiled under the new compiler (which just
kicks ass and takes names - this is one extraordinary dev environment).

Andrew