atom bomb

James ''Wez'' Weatherall jnw22 "at" cam.ac.uk
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 12:35:50 +0000

> Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 19:18:08 +0200
> From: "H. Th. van der Meer" <h.vandermeer02 "at" chello.nl>
> Subject: atom bomb in WINVNC
>
> I am tracking down a problem I have had with using VNC. Some times my
> applications would crash without any traceable cause.
> As far as I can see it now, WINVNC does something it shouldn't. It stores
> the latest x,y coordinates in a windows property and addresses this
property
> with an windows ATOM GetProp(window,ATOM).
>
> This looks like a very nice algorithm but the problem is that the Windows
> ATOM table is linked to the desktop and is cleared when the user logs in
(or
> out?). The ATOM that WINVNC uses looses its validity when users log in (or
> out?).
>
> For some more information see article Q238721 in the Microsoft knowledge
> base. They have a similar problem for common controls and MFC.
>
> This is more than I can fix on a Friday afternoon, any suggestions?

I *think* that the problem is an error in the call to remove the atoms when
unhooking the display.  WinVNC unhooks from the current desktop and re-hoks
to the new when the desktop changes, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I have a patched executable which may solve the problem.  Can I send you a
zipfile of the new binary somewhere?

(And yes, this will make it into the public release!)

Cheers,

Wez