VNC vs. Microsoft NetMeeting's Shared Desktop

timmy timmy "at" cablerocket.com
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 19:29:49 +0000

yes, but does netmeeting work on unix/linux/solaris/max etc etc?

plus netmeeting uses 5 or more tcp ports to communicate, and a random amount
of udp ports from 5000-8000 (i beleive).

compare apples to apples, then you will find vnc is superior.

-tim

p.s. if you had actually read and/or realyl evaluated vnc, you can send a
ctrl-alt-del to host as well. you might want to research this type of post
first. the documentation is very good with vnc.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com]On Behalf Of Dan Reisman
Sent: August 19, 2001 10:48 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: VNC vs. Microsoft NetMeeting's Shared Desktop

I installed VNC because I thought it was the only free program out there to
remotely control my server.  I have the server on a Windows NT4 Server, and
the viewers on 2 PCs running Win98SE.  Then, I found Microsoft NetMeeting's
Shared Desktop.  I have compared the performance of VNC with Microsoft
NetMeeting's Shared Desktop, and I have found the latter to be superior.  I
get a better picture, a lower latency, generally the same features of VNC,
plus you can issue a CTRL+ALT+DEL command to the server.  Before I do
something I would regret, what reasons are there for me not to stay with
NetMeeting, and uninstall VNC?

I appreciate your professional candidness on this issue.

Sincerely Yours,
Dan