complete crash of windows 2000 using vncviewer (fwd)

David Coppit vnc "at"
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 00:09:42 +0000

I know this is an old problem (judging by the archives), and the party
line is "it's a video or network driver problem", but I thought I'd
add my own data:

- Windows 2000 on a Dell Inspiron 4000
- ATI Rage Mobility version, dated 3/13/2001

- Windows 2000 on a Micro Pro
- ATI Magnum/Xpert128/X99/Xpert2000 (sorry I can't be more specific)
  Rage 128 GL (AGP), version 6.55-010602m-694C-ATI

Running the vncviewer with a scaling factor of 3/4 works, but 4/5
crashes the machine:

  Address A016813C at A0000000, datestamp 3aa010b4 in Win32k.sys

- Is the StretchBlt function really that buggy? Given all the games
  which are implemented on GDI and ATI graphics cards, it makes me
  think that somehow the VNC code is doing something a little
- Anyone know where to send bug reports to ATI?
- Is there any way that someone representing VNC (Wez?) can get some
  pull to have the StretchBlt functionality of the GDI interface
  tested better? (Maybe with VNC?)

David Coppit - Ph.D. Candidate         david "at"
The University of Virginia
    "Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brain." There was a long silence.
"I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."
to majordomo "at"
See also: