Win32 VNC service Shutdown

Steve Palocz spalocz "at" tgtsolutions.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:39:20 +0000

Hey Tony,

I experienced the same, but have a workaround. If you need to reboot through
vnc the winnt resource kit has a shutgui.exe and a shutdown.exe. If you
schedule a shutdown in five minutes, then disconnect. And reconnect back in
10 minutes. The system is rebooted. This winvnc shutdown problem only
happens when sockets are connected to it.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com]On Behalf Of Tony Caduto
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 8:50 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Win32 VNC service Shutdown

Does anyone know if there are plans to correct the win32 VNC service
shutdown?
If you did not know it shuts down before any other application or service,
so If another service or app brings up a dialog your server will never
reboot.
This is a serious problem and needs to be addressed by the VNC developers.
This limits VNC to servers in the next room, just think if the server was in
another city.

It seems like the VNC service is responding the the standard shutdown
message of winvnc running as a application.  It seems to me that some extra
logic is needed in the service code.
I would fix it myself, but I am not a C++ expert, I try to stick to pascal
:-)

Changing the registry so the OS autokills everything is not a option.

Thanks,

Tony Caduto