encrypted tunnel

Miroslav Luptak luptak "at" snt.sk
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:28:00 +0000

Hi, Dixie.

> thanks to all those who spoke up, i look forward to really listending to you
> and learning from what you have to say.  i checked out
> http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html and, while it is good
> summarizing documentation, i would like to learn of a Win32 <--> Win32
> solution.

The principle is the same for any platform, because it's based
on SSH's features, which are platform independent. The differences
are in the way how SSHD Server is setup on Win32 (this is
not described in that doc anyway) and the way you setup the
SSH Client.

I have just checked Tunnelier and I am dissapointed. It
supports only SSH2 (teher are lots of SSH1 servers out there)

The principle is the same for any platform, because it's based
on SSH's features, which are platform independent. The differences
are in the way how SSHD Server is setup on Win32 (this is
not described in that doc anyway) and the way you setup the
SSH Client.

I have just checked Tunnelier and I would recommend you
use some better client. My favourite client was TTSSH
(http://www.zip.com.au/~roca/ttssh.html) until I found Mindterm
(http://www.mindbright.se/mindterm).

You only need to replace the "ssh -L" lines in the sshvnc.html
with appropriate GUI items in the Windows SSH client of your
choice. E.g. for the Tunnelier the "ssh -L 5902:snoopy:5901 snoopy"
means the following GUI settings:
"SSH2 Server" section:
	"Host: snoopy"
	"Username: <your username at snoopy>"