Mac-VNC (VNCThing) on MacOS X

a.umpleby@ic.ac.uk a.umpleby "at" ic.ac.uk
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 12:20:02 +0000

> I started up OSX tonight, and VNCThing couldn't find the server.
> I haven't tried restarting OSX though

OS X should not need restarting - it is able to change settings
(locations) just like Classic.

You should make sure that the settings in the TCP prefs for OS X
match those for the TCP/IP control panel in Classic.

i.e. check your subnet mask (should be 255.255.255.0) and your
IP address (should be 2.2.2.5).

If those are OK it should "just work"... (it did for me!)

Just to check your connection, you can start up a terminal and type
"ping 2.2.2.2"  at the prompt (welcome to the joys of unix...)
If everything is OK you should find you get a line appearing every
second which will look something like this:

64 bytes from 2.2.2.2 : icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.662 ms

Type ctrl+C to get out of the 'ping'.

If you don't get anything appearing then there's a problem.
(You have to type ctrl+C to get out of it, still, and you will get a
line which says something like:

...this tells you that out of the 6 packets it sent [1 per sec] it
got none back - i.e. it didn't get through!)

Caveat: if the other Mac has not loaded the TCP stack then the ping
won't work - make sure you have a TCP program started (eg start up
the VNC server on it).

Hope that helps!

P.S. I recommend you try out the ChromiVNC Server for Mac - it tends
to be rather more robust than the AT&T server:
http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/vnc/

P.P.S. I've also found VNCThing has an anoying bug with dragging.
It often does not seem to actually 'pick things up'. -I've only
found this when viewing an Xvnc server, though - seems to be OK for
another Mac. (Any comment, Dair...?)
If you have this problem, try out VNCDimension - another VNC client
specifically for OS X. (  http://www.mdimension.com/Community/  )
It has it's own annoying bug (at least, for me!), in that it will
always lose its connection if the app is hidden, or if a window is
minimised into the dock - but this can be worked around...

Hope all that helps!