startup won't start vnc

asn@mediaone.net asn "at" mediaone.net
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:10:47 +0000

Hi,

I'm not familiar with starting vnc at bootup, but i may be able to offer
a few troubleshooting tips.

Look in /var/log for messages relating to vnc.
	touch /tmp/now
	/etc/init.d/vncserver start
	grep -i vnc $(find /var/log -newer /tmp/now)

Run the startup script with script tracing on:
	bash -x /etc/init.d/vncserver start
Maybe it will reveal something.

You can also start it with full tracing of system calls.

	strace -o /tmp/tracefile -f /etc/init.d/vncserver start

The output will be difficult for a newbie to understand, but sometimes
is's obvious.

If you are still stuck, send the info you gather and someone else may be
able to find the problem.

-Adam