I'm losing the battle to Solaris 8 and VNC

Robert Klahn klahn "at" yahoo.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:44:33 +0000

Chris:

The best way that *I* have found to get VNC Server running under
Solaris 8 is to run Xvnc under its -inetd mode.

Here is what I (think I) did to get VNC running in this way:

1) Add an entry to /etc/services, thus:

vnc             5901/tcp                        # Virtual Network
Computing

Thats on one long line

2) Add an entry to /etc/inetd.conf, thus:

vnc     stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/local/vnc/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd
-query localhost -once -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24 -nevershared
-dontdisconnect -dpi 100

Again, one long line.

3) Restart inetd by sending SIGHUP.

kill -HUP <pid of inetd>

4) Connect to the VNC server by using <hostname>:1 as the server name
in the VNC client.

I think I may have lost a step in this. Let me know if you run into
any issues on this setup.

Bob.

--- Chris.N.1 "at" bwc.state.oh.us wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I've juste installed Solaris 8 on a Sun system.
>
> After I install VNC.... I could get it to run olwm with the
> following
> xstartup file
>
> xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
> xsetroot -solid grey
> xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
> #twm &
> olwm &
>

> However... I wanted CDE to run.
> I changed the file to the folowing
>
> xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
> xsetroot -solid grey
> xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
> #twm &
> #olwm &
> /usr/dt/bin/Xsession
>
> when I did this and restarted the server all I got was a grey
> screen with X
> cursor.  I killed the vnc server and changed the file back and
> STILL got a
> grey screen.
> I then rebooted the box and STILL AGAIN got a grey screen. It
> wasn't until I
> went up to the box and logged in locally that I could then get the
> VNC
> server to come up with the old olwm session.
>
> What do I need to change so I can remotely reboot the box and get a
> session
> to run. (either olwm or CDE..whichever is easier)
>
> Thanks...I'm new
>
> Chris

> to majordomo "at" uk.research.att.com

=====
Robert A. Klahn

klahn "at" yahoo.com

"No more beer for administrator till the website is secured!" --- BlackSun

"'Free software' is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of 'free speech,' not 'free beer.'" -- http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html