Solaris 7 compilation issues

Edric Bulalacao egb "at" tonesoft.com
Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:12:40 +0000

This is not a problem...it's a feature...does that sound like a Microsoft
phrase?  Anyway, this is exactly the behavior of TightVNC when you use the
tight encoding.  If you have a way to measure the number of packets being
transferred between your client and the VNC server, you'll notice that it's
considerably less than the regular VNC.  TightVNC takes time to compress and
decompress the display you see on your client...that's why you see a
delay...a portion of the screen at a time.  On a 10Base-T network or above,
you'll notice this delay, but on slower connections, especially on dial-up,
TightVNC is an ideal solution.  For a LAN, you're better off using regular
hextile encoding.

>>Hi Frank

>>Just like I have emailed Const, I think the problem does not lie with the
source code (I think I should be having the lastest one, just downloaded
them less than a month ago), but rather, it lies with my inexperience in
compiling codes.  I am still a novice in all these kind of things, so I
guess there are really a lot to learn.  If it is not too troublesome, please
tar and gz the executable files and send them to :

>>quekhp "at" singnet.com.sg

>>Thank you so much.  If you are interested in the problems that I have
faced, here it goes :

>>I have already downloaded the lastest gcc from sunfreeware and when I
started compiling it with xmkmf, it complained of missing "#endif" in some
file and the whole thing terminated. I do not know how to debug it and so
felt very frustrated. :|

>>By the way, I tried out TridiaVnc yesterday and I was so disappointed
because it was actually slower than the normal vnc that I got from AT&T.
Not sure if I am the one who is using it incorrectly but when I used the
"tight" option, the screen actually started refreshing portion by portion
horizontally. The hextile option still works fine, just can't figure out why
the tight option is not working. By the way, what does the lazytight option
actually do???  I have tried to use that but does not really made a
difference.

>>I am using 100BaseT LAN and connecting between Solaris 7 and Win98.  My
aim is to make vnc work as fast as what a normal X server program such as
XWin32 or Xmanager  can achieve.  Currently whenever I use vnc, it is slow
in the sense that there is an irritating time lack between clicking a
menu(or moving a window) and actually seeing the click being performed.
Also, the cursor is constantly trailing behind a little dot.  Have already
tried setting some options such as deferupdate, but does not help very much.
Did not face such problem using those X server programs.