Solaris 7 compilation issues

Saighiridhar Vijayagopalan Sai.Vijay "at" Sun.COM
Thu, 09 Aug 2001 03:29:55 +0000

Hi,

>From the download page, I saw that VNC was available for Solaris 2.5.
Do we have a version for 2.7 or 2.8 also ?

thanks,
Sai.

>Date: 8 Aug 2001 18:30:09 -0700
>To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
>From: Quek Hong Cheang <quekhc "at" altavista.com>
>Subject: Re: Solaris 7 compilation issues
>
>Hi Frank
>
>Just like I have emailed Const, I think the problem does not lie with the
source code (I think I should be having the lastest one, just downloaded them
less than a month ago), but rather, it lies with my inexperience in compiling
codes.  I am still a novice in all these kind of things, so I guess there are
really a lot to learn.  If it is not too troublesome, please tar and gz the
executable files and send them to :

>quekhp "at" singnet.com.sg
>
>Thank you so much.  If you are interested in the problems that I have faced,
here it goes :

>I have already downloaded the lastest gcc from sunfreeware and when I started
compiling it with xmkmf, it complained of missing "#endif" in some file and the
whole thing terminated. I do not know how to debug it and so felt very
frustrated. :|

>By the way, I tried out TridiaVnc yesterday and I was so disappointed because
it was actually slower than the normal vnc that I got from AT&T.  Not sure if I
am the one who is using it incorrectly but when I used the "tight" option, the
screen actually started refreshing portion by portion horizontally. The hextile
option still works fine, just can't figure out why the tight option is not
working. By the way, what does the lazytight option actually do???  I have tried
to use that but does not really made a difference.

>I am using 100BaseT LAN and connecting between Solaris 7 and Win98.  My aim is
to make vnc work as fast as what a normal X server program such as XWin32 or
Xmanager  can achieve.  Currently whenever I use vnc, it is slow in the sense
that there is an irritating time lack between clicking a menu(or moving a
window) and actually seeing the click being performed.  Also, the cursor is
constantly trailing behind a little dot.  Have already tried setting some
options such as deferupdate, but does not help very much.  Did not face such
problem using those X server programs.

>Anyone else faces the same problem?
>

>On Wed, 08 August 2001, Frank Evan Perdicaro wrote:
>

>> > Subject: Re: Upgrading VNC (was TightVNC vs regular VNC)
>> >
>> > Speaking of upgrading, I have been trying to compile tightvnc without much
success.  Is there anyone who has sucessfully compiled it on the solaris
platform?  I am using Solaris 7. If anyone can sent me the compiled files, I
would be very grateful.  Thanks.