Upgrading VNC (was TightVNC vs regular VNC)

Ryan Casey scfiead "at" hotmail.com
Wed, 08 Aug 2001 13:54:32 +0000

> On 8 Aug 2001, at 6:00, vnc-list-digest wrote:
>
> > I eventually used:
> >   Password = REG_BINARY 0x8 0xDDCCBBAA 0xHHGGFFEE
> > and that worked.
>
> > Is there an easier version that I am missing here??
>
> The easiest way to find your password settings, is to set the
> password under WinVNC (winvnc -defaultsettings from the
> command lien). Now use regdir to list this reg key:
>
> regdir \registry\machine\software\orl\winvnc3\default
>
> Look for the password reg key and copy this directly into the
> machine.ini file for the script. A full explanation of this is on the
> same web site as the script.

I think I found the referenced page at:
http://www.darkage.co.uk/vnc/remote.htm

However, this page states:
"In order for you to use the batch file, you'll need to do a bit of tweaking
on a test machine. Install VNC, either via the setup program or the command
line method, and when it prompts you for a password - type one in. Test this
connection from another machine to check it works.

When you've done that and checked it works, use regdir to get the REG_BINARY
values. Do this by typing regini
\registry\machine\software\orl\winvnc3\default and you'll get output like
this:

<snipped image>

In order for you to use the batch file, you'll need to do a bit of tweaking
on a test machine. Install VNC, either via the setup program or the command
line method, and when it prompts you for a password - type one in. Test this
connection from another machine to check it works.

When you've done that and checked it works, use regdir to get the REG_BINARY
values. Do this by typing regini
\registry\machine\software\orl\winvnc3\default and you'll get output like
this:"

First, this says to use regdir to get the value, but references regini as
the command example.  Second, I don't have the ResKit utils on my machine,
and regdir was not bundled with the other utils.

Thank you for your reply!

Ryan