VNC through a firewall.

Zalman Margareten zmargareten "at" CJH.org
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 23:05:59 +0000

I too am trying to run VNC through a firewall. Everything was fine
connecting out to my server at my home computer and vice versa until we
implemented a new firewall.
I understand that there's some Java viewer out there that would let me
communicate through the firewall by setting up some kind of virtual proxy
between the server and the viewer thus allowing me to talk over a common
open Port.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

-----Original Message-----
From: Pollett, Marc [mailto:PollettM "at" mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 1:25 PM
To: 'vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com'

I'm having trouble connecting to a server outside my firewall.  Both server
and workstation are WinNT4 SP5.  Server is running latest WinVNC.  When I
try to connect using java client, I get java.io.eofexception error (after
about 5 minutes).  Server can be accessed no problem from outside the
firewall.  After checking firewall logs, no apparent problems with either
web or communication ports (58xx and 59xx), though workstation seems to be
trying to use port 137 as well.  When addressing server, I used ip instead
of server name, so I'm not sure why it's trying to use NetBIOS port (137).
BTW, vncviewer doesn't work either.

cheers
marc