Upgrading VNC (was TightVNC vs regular VNC)

Ryan Casey scfiead "at" hotmail.com
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 18:54:09 +0000

> On NT, if you can ping the remote PC and have adminstrator
> access to it, then you can use my fastpush script to upgrade
> them. It's only a batch file, so it would be easy to alter it to push
> TightVNC instead of one of the Tridia flavours I've got.

Nice script!  All our machines are NT or 2K, so this works great!  I added a
folder for my TightVNC, added the command-line switch in the batch, and I
was good to go...

except I had some serious issues with the regini password field
(REG_BINARY).

I looked at the entry in Regedit, and it had
AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH
for the value (obviously not literally)

I eventually used:
  Password = REG_BINARY 0x8 0xDDCCBBAA 0xHHGGFFEE
and that worked.

Is there an easier version that I am missing here??

Ryan

> Has anyone the latest TightVNC for Windows compiled? If
> someone sends me a copy (or http/ftp address), I can put that in
> myself.

There is a download section for the Preview versions on www.tightvnc.com
that contains a binary release.  I compared this and a self-compiled version
from the source link, and it came out the same.