TightVNC vs regular VNC

BugTraq Recipient bugtraq "at" brianrea.org
Mon, 06 Aug 2001 16:48:38 +0000

One could have the new files for the update in a temporary directory, then
write a batch file that will:
1) copy the files into the VNC directory
2) delete the temp directory
3) delete itself
You could call this batch file from the autoexec.bat if you're running
Win9x.  Just edit autoexec and perform a reboot.

If you're running WinNT... hmm... aren't there ways to start/stop services
from the command-line?  (i can't think of them right now)  In such a case,
you could remotely text-edit a batch file to:
1) stop the TightVNC service
2) copy files from the temp dir to the VNC dir
3) restart the TightVNC service
Then you could login as usual and do cleanup.

of course, it's far more likely that the following will happen in either
case:
1) make necesarry prepatory changes to remote system
2) initiate command sequence calling for VNC to drop connections (either
system reboot or service stoppage)
3) wait 60 seconds, attempt to login again
4) get a connection time out error
5) wait another couple minutes, attempt to login again
6) get another connection time out error
7) close office door, swear a lot
8) attempt to reach remote office by phone
9) become puzzled that nobody in remote office is answer phone eventhough
it's 14:36 their local time
10) compose email to remote office staff with instructions on how to restart
service
11) realize that remote office staff is not that bright - that's why you do
their work from 1200 miles away in the first place.
11) edit email to simply read "call me when you get this"
12) send email, go out for beer

Brian Rea
PhysioMetrics
Mount Laurel, NJ