VNC mystery

Yan Seiner yan "at" cardinalengineering.com
Mon, 06 Aug 2001 16:06:21 +0000

OK i have a VNC mystery.

I am running a RedHat 7.0 workstation, XFree 4.1, and beta tight VNC.

I am trying to set up a "loopback" where I connect to the VNC server via
a viewer running on the same machine.

As long as I start X, then start vncserver, then start vncviewer,
everything works fine.

But if I try to start vncserver, then vncviewer without X running first,
vncviewer fails with:

Error: can't open display:

Here's how I start the whole thing:

/usr/bin/vncserver :1 -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 24 -deferupdate 50
/usr/bin/vncviewer -shared -fullscreen -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 24
-encodings "raw" localhost:1

I've tried this with various display numbers, so it's not a display
number issue.

I've also tried this with just :0, localhost:0, hamlet.cardinal.lan:0 -
no dice.

What's up????

--Yan