VNC on NT 4.0 Server crashes when remotely started

John Perrin jperrin "at" Oswego.EDU
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 21:14:02 +0000

I installed VNC on an NT 4.0 SP5 server running as a service, I can start
the service from the server and connect to it from any client. If I try to
start the service remotely using the Server Manager on another server and
try to connect, the Winvnc service crashes with a message on the server it
is running on and a message on the client side that is ReadExact: Socket
error while reading.

I tried to start the service remotely from 2 different computers (NT4.0
server and Win 2000 Pro) with the same results. I tried changing the server
side to 256 colors and 800 x 600 res. It has a ATI video card.

I have been using VNC for a couple years now and find it great, never have
run into this before. I checked the archives for this problem and did not
see any resolutions.

Any Ideas?

Thank you,

John Perrin