vnc is in startup scripts(change user and home directory?)

Mitch Urquhart mitch "at" kinley.com
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 18:25:57 +0000

I may be too ate, but I had a similar problem.  I wanted to run vnc at startup
and force use of a user level home directory.
What I did was run it from a script, that first sets
-----------  snip ----------
HOME=/home/tomthumb
export $HOME
source /etc/profile
source /home/tomthumb/.bash_profile
--------------------------------------

  this forces the system environment variable HOME to what you need, then forces
the normal path that "tomthumb"
gets when he logs in by sourcing the files where this stuff is kept.

...M

Jared Kidd wrote:

> Im running mandrake8 which has vnc server built in to run on bootup.
> Currently, when my machine boots up it loads as root but doesn't use
> root's home.  Instead, it uses the root directory (/) as its home
> directory which I don't like.  Can someone tell me how to set it up so it
> still loads on bootup but loads as a normal existing user (jaredk, not
> root) and uses that user's home directory for the settings and stuff? This
> has probably been asked before but i didn't find it searching these
> lists, thanks for any help.
>
> Jared Kidd "You can kill a man, but you can't kill what he stands for.
> Not unless you first break his spirit."--Smoking Man (X-files)
> http://radnimax.com/ icq = 17713745 msn = Xamindar

> to majordomo "at" uk.research.att.com

Regards,
Mitch Urquhart  / Computer Services