Mysteries of installshield: 105 jive

Frank Evan Perdicaro frank "at" dsea.com
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 18:21:15 +0000

For a few years I've been developing InstallShield.  By "develop" I
mean writing libraries and include file hierarchies in the IS
langauage, creating elaborate make files to integrate IS with VC++ and
generally doing other non-trivial stuff.

The InstallShield Knowledge base is crap.  So are the wizards.

Based on my experience, you have run into just one of the many idiotic
bugs in IS.

When IS runs setup.exe, it attemps to create a hidden folder in the
system's temporary directory.  The folder is typically named
_ISxxxnn.tmp where xxx is an arbitrary constant, and nn is a decimal
integer from 1 to 99.  As IS is run on a system, these dirs are not
deleted, and nn increments.  If you do a lot of IS work, nn eventually
== 99.  After that, IS looses its F***ING MIND!  Your problem sounds
like part of this insanity.

Look very carefully through your whole system for directories/folders
with names conatining "_is".   Delete all of these.

Similar problems can happen when you run out of disk space or file
slots on the file system where IS chooses to hide its temporary files.