stderr not a tty, where are you ?

Mitch Urquhart mitch "at" kinley.com
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 17:56:39 +0000

I am starting up VNC with users level security when my Slackware Linux box
boots,   in order to force the session to have user level security, I run my
vnc_startup script from the crontab.   It checks 1 time per minute and if the
lockfile is not present it fires up vncserver.
   This works , as I get a vnc session with all the right paths and such (and it
doesn't come up as a root-owned session, like if you ran your vnc_startup from
the /etc/inittab).
  My problem is that I keep getting messages on the console that say:

stderr not a tty   where are you ?

    I DO have a tty on the vncserver commandline.  (vncserver :5 -depth 8 tty5)

Anybody got any ideas ?

--
Regards,
Mitch Urquhart  / Computer Services