TightVNC vs regular VNC

Fri, 03 Aug 2001 17:06:21 +0000

"lag" also depends on what compression level you've set Tight encoding to
use, as well as any other options like using the jpeg encoder.  Also if
you're running a graphics-rich through it or have a complicated background,
it'll appear "worse".  Also check to make sure both sides are running at the
same colour depth - if VNC has to convert them, it'll take some processing
power.

-----Original Message-----
From: Edric [mailto:ebulalacao "at" yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2001 10:08 AM
To: vnc-list-digest "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: TightVNC vs regular VNC

I've compiled both versions on Solaris 7 Intel
successfully.  The box is a P3/600mhz w/ 512mb RAM.
On a 10base-T network, I noticed that if I use the
"tight" encoding, the screen display is slower than if
I just use "hextile".  I'm assuming this is because it
takes more time for the Unix box to compress the data
stream it sends to the client and it takes additional
time for the client to decompress the data stream.
The client is a Windows 98 laptop, P2/300mhz w/ 96mb
RAM.  So the bottleneck is the processing power of
both machines, not the network.  Is this assumption
accurate?  Has anyone else had similar experience?  I
have not tested TightVNC vs regular VNC on a dial-up connection.