TightVNC vs regular VNC

Edric ebulalacao "at" yahoo.com
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 15:30:44 +0000

I've compiled both versions on Solaris 7 Intel
successfully.  The box is a P3/600mhz w/ 512mb RAM.
On a 10base-T network, I noticed that if I use the
"tight" encoding, the screen display is slower than if
I just use "hextile".  I'm assuming this is because it
takes more time for the Unix box to compress the data
stream it sends to the client and it takes additional
time for the client to decompress the data stream.
The client is a Windows 98 laptop, P2/300mhz w/ 96mb
RAM.  So the bottleneck is the processing power of
both machines, not the network.  Is this assumption
accurate?  Has anyone else had similar experience?  I
have not tested TightVNC vs regular VNC on a dial-up connection.