vnc is in startup scripts(change user and home directory?)

Jared Kidd jaredkidd "at" hotmail.com
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 07:26:56 +0000

well there is a script in "/etc/rc.d/init.d" called "vncserver" that runs:

#!/bin/sh
#
# chkconfig: 345 91 35
#	       used to provide remote X administration services.

# Source function library.
. /etc/init.d/functions

# Source networking configuration.
. /etc/sysconfig/network

# Check that networking is up.
[ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ] && exit 0

start() {
    echo -n "Starting VNC server: "
    daemon vncserver
    RETVAL=$?
    echo
    [ "$RETVAL" -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/vncserver
}

stop() {
    echo -n "Shutting down VNC server: "
    killproc vncserver
    RETVAL=$?
    echo
    [ "$RETVAL" -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/vncserver
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
	start
	;;
  stop)
	stop
	;;
  restart)
	stop
	start
	;;
  condrestart)
	if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/vncserver ]; then
	    stop
	    start
	fi
	;;
  status)
	status vncserver
	;;
  *)
	echo "Usage: vncserver {start|stop|restart|condrestart|status}"
	exit 1
esac

I don't know if that will help you but that's what does it.

>From: Barn Owl <barnowl "at" uronramp.net>
>To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
>Subject: Re: vnc is in startup scripts(change user and home directory?)
>Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 23:19:03 -0500
>
>Jared Kidd wrote:
> >
> > Im running mandrake8 which has vnc server built in to run on bootup.
> > Currently, when my machine boots up it loads as root but doesn't use
> > root's home.  Instead, it uses the root directory (/) as its home
> > directory which I don't like.  Can someone tell me how to set it up so
>it
> > still loads on bootup but loads as a normal existing user (jaredk, not
> > root) and uses that user's home directory for the settings and stuff?
>This
> > has probably been asked before but i didn't find it searching these
> > lists, thanks for any help.
> >

>How does it run at startup? Been looking around for a way to do that.
>Might have a workaround for you though. Try making the /.vnc a sym link
>to /home/jaredk/.vnc.

But if i make a symlink to the home directory i would also have to do it
with the other programs i run in vnc that put files in the home directory.