vncserver on AIX 4.1.4, Opus, and xhost

Grant McDorman grant.mcdorman "at" cedara.com
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 17:13:56 +0000

This came up before in this list. On the AIX machine, make sure $DISPLAY is
:1 (or whatever). `hostname`:1 uses a different transport (TCP/IP instead of
Unix domain); this makes xhost think you are running it from a remote host,
and consequentially it refuses to do anything for security reasons.

You can also modify the vncserver script to start Xvnc with the '-ac'
option, which is equivalent to doing 'xhost +' at startup.

According to Jeff Boerio:
> Yes, I said xhost.
>
> I've been able to get Opus to come up IF ...
>
> * I run vncserver on an HP 10.20 or Linux machine
> * I do "xhost +aix_unix_host"
> * I rlogin to my AIX 4.1.4 box
> * I run Opus
>
> But, I cannot get the same to happen if my vncserver is an AIX machine.
> xhost, in this case, returns the following error message:
>
> 1346-203 xhost:  must be on local machine to add or remove hosts.
>
> So, while I have my AIX expert running to Austin to find out from them if
> there's a problem, I thought I would, in parallel, ask this group if anyone
> knows why xhost isn't working in this scenario?  Given a positive outcome
> from this issue, I may be able to solve my Opus problems on AIX.
>
>      - Jeff
>
> PS  The zlib-enhanced VNC does dramatically increase my performance with
> the graphical tools we're using inside VNC.
> to majordomo "at" uk.research.att.com

Grant McDorman <grant.mcdorman "at" cedara.com>, Sr. Software Design Consultant
Cedara Software Corp.  <URL:http://www.cedara.com>
  (formerly I.S.G. Technologies Inc.)
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]