Licensing problem

Andrew van der Stock ajv "at" greebo.net
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:07:23 +0000

The GPL license allows you to sell VNC, with a caveat or three:

http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCDoesTheGPLAllowMoney

You need to provide a method for your users to download the source _they_
use (ie, it's not good enough to provide the standard applet if you've
modified it). For example, if you've modified the applet to support some
funky decompressor, you need to provide the code to the decompressor as
well.

http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic

If you've made no changes, it's good enough to point to the standard
distribution or web site in your documentation or web site (ie a method for
your users to get their hands on the source, which is the raison d'etre of
the GPL).

As it is a discrete application, that's the end of your responsibilities
under the GPL. If it's not a discrete application, this section is useful
reading:

http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLAndPlugins

Andrew