AuthHosts = V. Confusing!

Wed, 01 Aug 2001 23:39:48 +0000

Actually all you need is "-:+10.8"  It'll reject everything except
connections coming from the 10.8 network.  I've never tried it using
multiple values - if I look at it, it seems to be ignoring the first part of
the expression (the "-:10.9" part) and simply evaluating the last bit
("-:10.8").  Which logically makes sense, as the last part of your first
attempt ("+:+10.8") isn't valid AuthHosts syntax (at least as I understand
it).

Of course I could be completely wrong ;)

Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Wyllie [mailto:dwyllie "at" s-un.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 11:11 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: AuthHosts = V. Confusing!

Hi all,

I've just spent the last hour or 2 playing about with the AuthHosts setting.
The PC i'm working with has 2 network cards. One NIC is on one LAN, and
the other is on another LAN.

What i'm trying to do is allow PC's on the 1st LAN (10.8) to have access to
my PC. But at the same time deny anyone from the 2nd LAN (10.9) access.

I went to the documentation webpage for the VNC Server (for Windows) and
read
about the settings for AuthHosts.

According to the documentation, to achieve this i should use the value:

     -:+10.9:+:+10.8

But this doesn't work! After a while I tried using the value:

     -:+10.9:-:+10.8

And it works!

It almost looks like basic maths, where two negatives equals a positive!?

Has anyone else had this problem??

Please help!

Thanks,
Dan