Help!!! VNC

Ceri Hankey ccah "at"
Wed, 01 Aug 2001 22:13:39 +0000

To get windows VNC to 'see' your linux machine...
1) Ensure that windows knows about your Linux machine - put an entry into
hosts on the windows machine that points to the Linux system eg..
#Addr            full name                           alias1          alias2        linux           LINUX       windows    WINDOWS

2)    See if you can ping the Linux system from windows MS-DOS command

3)    on Linux system, enter the command vncserver :1, if you have not run
vncserver before, it will
        ask you for a password, and the confirm it. NB you should do this as
anything but ROOT or SU.

4)    on Windows system run vncviewer and enter the system:screennum
(linux:1) and then the password.

It should all work. It does for me!

PS I ensure that vncserver is running on the linux system by starting
vncserver :1 from /etc/bashrc using the following code...

# start vncserver if user is NOT post(master) or post(gres) AND
# if Xvnc is not found in list of tasks
if ! echo $USER | grep post ; then
 if !  ps -A | grep Xvnc  ; then
    if ls $HOME/.vnc/$HOSTNAME*.* | grep : ; then
          echo Removing old VNC server files...
         rm -f $HOME/.vnc/$HOSTNAME*.*
             echo Starting VNCServer on screen :1 ...
              vncserver :1

NB if the system crashes, you get left with a file /tmp/.X11-unix/X1, which
has to be destroyed manually before the above code will work again. But the
login dialog tells you that  (if you log in in traditional text mode and not
X - under X I do not know what happens!)