Silly Question...

Const Kaplinsky const "at" ce.cctpu.edu.ru
Wed, 01 Aug 2001 00:29:14 +0000

CK> Just to let you know. I worked on TightVNC actively during last
CK> two weeks (mostly on Win32 local cursor issues)

GB> What issues with the local cursors are you reffering to?

There are two basic cursor types in Windows from the API point of
view, black-and-white (those standard Win16-compatible ones) and
color. From the other side, there are two pseudo-encodings supported
in TightVNC viewers to understand cursor shape updates: XCursor
(X-compatible monochrome cursors) and RichCursor (representing data in
client pixel format). Win32 TightVNC 1.1p8c supported only XCursor and
B&W Windows cursors on server side, and those "local cursor issues"
was about implementing other types of cursor/encoding combinations and
to re-organize the code to make that possible. Finally, my current
code supports local cursors for any possible type of Windows cursor
pointers.

GB> I have noticed an unusual amount of server processor usage when
GB> the cursor changes. Even on the server, the cursor takes about 0.5
GB> seconds to change shape. I don't know if it is because of the
GB> processor being bogged down or something tight vnc is doing to the
GB> cursor.

Yes, I've noticed that too, but it's not about my code eating CPU
time. I think my code triggers other CPU-hungry piece of code in some
way. I've located the place where it happens but I'm not sure what
actually is going on there.

I'm not sure I would have the time to investigate this problem for the
1.2 release, let me fix it a bit later. I'm sure it's possible, and
actually cursor shape updates should improve CPU usage on server side
instead of eating more resources as it happens at this moment.

--
With Best Wishes,
Constantin