VNC vs. MS products

Alastair Carey alastair "at" hsnz.co.nz
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:59:55 +0000

Exchange Conferencing Server and VNC are not really comparable products.
Exchange Conferencing does offer whiteboarding facilities and remote control
a la VNC (although it's at the application level, not the entire screen) but
it's multicasting and, of course, primarily offers full video conferencing.
I don't think VNC has the same goals, to be honest; for what it's designed
to do, VNC is better than Exchange Conferencing Server.

-----Original Message-----
From: Glenn Mabbutt [mailto:gmabbutt "at" quartetservice.com]
Sent: Friday, 1 December 2000 4:02
To: 'vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com'
Subject: VNC vs. MS products

Greetings all.  I've searched the archives and I've seen threads similar to
this from 1998 and 1999, but none recently :)

I'm attempting to make an argument in favour of VNC over other solutions
(and I've tested a bunch, some are good, others aren't).

However, I don't really want to consider such products as NetMeeting and
Exchange Conferencing Server, based on MS's track record with things like
leaking data (OLE and such - my boss is quite security conscious) as well as
OS "integration", which seems to have increased the complexity of problems,
in my experience.

Given that there's a fairly new version of NetMeeting out, and hoping
someone has had experience with Exchange Conferencing Server, can anyone
help me out here??  There's one tech in the office who insists that MS
products are the way to go, simply because most of our customers run MS OSes
and he considers it the "easiest" path.

I like VNC, I've been playing with it for a month or so, it does what we
need to do, and has strong potential to quickly and greatly improve.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn