VNC vs. MS products

Kenneth Foster fosterk "at" aenigma.net
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:59:08 +0000

If security is your major concern then maybe another product might be your
best alternative.  While VNC is a great product for a lot of areas, it does
lack in a few definite areas that commercial products meet.

1:	User authentication.  The ability to use Domain based/centralized
authentication.

2:	Passwords.  The ability to change password easily, and have them stick
without messing with the registry.  I know that there will be argument about
some of these things, but if you read the mail list you will realize that
the novice, and even experienced, user has problems like this.  The password
has an 8 character limit.  For some people that might be ok, but I wouldn't
use it on my server connected to the internet.

3:	Encryption.  A lot of products have built in encryption.  This isn't
easily available for all platforms, and when it is available its a pain in
the butt to integrate for the "normal" user.

4:	File copy.  This may or may not be something you are interested in, but
you won't get it here.

5:	Speed.  While it is fast, its not the fastest protocol out there.  It
falls behind some other solution.

Now there are things it excels at.

1:	I use it for demonstrating things to users all the time.  I built a
viewer that can only view, not take over, a session.  I even took out the
check box so they can't accidentally mess up my demo. I have my users use it
when I want to demonstrate something to them.

2:	Free.  Can't beat that.

3:	Source code.  If you are technically inclined, you can modify it to your
hearts content so that it meets YOUR needs.

4:	Runs on about everything.

5:	Not the most difficult thing to set up, once you learn all of the quirks.

This is just my opinion, but I have been using it quite a bit for the last
year for the demonstration purposes.  I use Terminal Server for controlling
my servers though, its faster, it encrypts, and its free on all of my W2K
servers.

Take care,

Ken Foster