Xvnc -inetd and KDM/GDM

Craig Flanick gnuskin "at" yahoo.com
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:34:57 +0000

Greetings!

What is the best way to have a login manager(KDM,GDM)
prompt a user for a username and password when someone
logs in?  I like the ability to have the user to be
able to choose his window manager at login(another
reason to have kdm or gdm display at login).  I am
currently running vnc with the inetd option(and have
it configured like it says on Andre Moreia's inetd
webpage), and when I connect to the vnc server using a
vnc client, all I get is the thatched background, and
that big X cursor.  I know that to get kdm or gdm
display at the initial connection involves scripting
of some kind, but I am still rather new to linux and I
haven't developed any programming skills yet.  Thank
you for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Craig Flanick