SSH and VNC

Serge Dutremble aa396 "at" issc.debbs.ndhq.dnd.ca
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:14:20 +0000

I have tried to use SSH as specified in the documentation for encrypting my VNC
session.

I have succesfully installed OpenSSH on two Linux PCs and I can SSH between the
two just fine.

(PC1 is client and PC2 is server)
On establishing the redirection from PC1 using:

ssh -L 5802:home.dns.entry:5801 home.dns.entry

I get prompted for the VNC password and allowed in OK.  I now have a SSH
terminal session on PC2.

I then try to open a VNC connection from PC1 using the netscape browser at the
following URL:

http://localhost:5802

I get an error message on PC1 stating that "a network error occured while
Netscape was receiving data.(Network error: broken pipe) Try connecting again.

On my PC2 ssh terminal session, I get the following error:

"channel_open_failure:2 reason 1: bla bla"

The connection works fine without the encryption.  I.E:

http://home.dns.entry:5801

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Serge.