Announce: RDP to VNC

Kenneth Foster fosterk "at" aenigma.net
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:52:04 +0000

Actually you only need a TSCAL if the client isn't Windows2000.  If it is
Windows2000 it comes with a TSCAL

Ken Foster

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com]On Behalf Of Lucas Rockwell
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 5:20 PM
To: 'vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com'
Subject: RE: Announce: RDP to VNC

Alastair,

if i remember correctly, the original topic was about NT Terminal
server. (but i could be wrong because i foolishly deleted those messages.)

for NT Terminal server, you need a CAL -- client access licnese -- for any
machine that is not windows-based. from the MS site:

For: Non-Windows-Based Terminal "Thin Clients" or Macintosh, UNIX and
Windows-based Terminals
You need: TS CAL (or Windows NT Workstation license) and Windows NT Server
CAL (or BackOffice CAL)

so, for NT terminal server, you need BOTH a server connection license AND
a terminal server license. but the server connection license is usually
taken care of by how many people can concurrently access the machine which
you have to buy anyway.

web addresses on these issues are:

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/terminalserver/deployment/MAP/LicClient.as

http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/nts/exec/overview/Licensing.asp

for plain VNC viewing of random desktops that are running VNCserver
software i don't think there are any license issues.

if we are getting off topic i appologize.

-lucas