Announce: RDP to VNC

Alastair Carey alastair "at" hsnz.co.nz
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:35:30 +0000

Yep, that's what I thought, I was just checking because somebody else
mentioned the possibility (see very bottom of quoted thread). Was worried
for a second there!

Thanks for the informative post.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lucas Rockwell [mailto:lr "at" socrates.Berkeley.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, 30 November 2000 11:20
To: 'vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com'
Subject: RE: Announce: RDP to VNC

Alastair,

if i remember correctly, the original topic was about NT Terminal
server. (but i could be wrong because i foolishly deleted those messages.)

for NT Terminal server, you need a CAL -- client access licnese -- for any
machine that is not windows-based. from the MS site:

For: Non-Windows-Based Terminal "Thin Clients" or Macintosh, UNIX and
Windows-based Terminals
You need: TS CAL (or Windows NT Workstation license) and Windows NT Server
CAL (or BackOffice CAL)

so, for NT terminal server, you need BOTH a server connection license AND
a terminal server license. but the server connection license is usually
taken care of by how many people can concurrently access the machine which
you have to buy anyway.

web addresses on these issues are:

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/terminalserver/deployment/MAP/LicClient.as

http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/nts/exec/overview/Licensing.asp

for plain VNC viewing of random desktops that are running VNCserver
software i don't think there are any license issues.

if we are getting off topic i appologize.

-lucas