VNC directionality?

Mike Armstrong mfa "at" lal.ufl.edu
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:29:02 +0000

We've got a situation where several NT and Windows 2000 boxes on opposite
sides of a WAN can use VNC to look at each other on occasion.  The oddity is,
going in one direction (e.g., Box A on "this" side of the WAN runs the viewer
to look at Box B on "the other" side of the WAN) is very speedy with great
response time, but in the other direction (i.e., Box B runs the viewer)
response time is terrible -- unacceptable, really.  This pattern is observed
on several machine pairs, as though the WAN had a bias against traffic in one
direction.  Our ISP assures us that the WAN is transparent, but we have no way
of verifying that.  Any comments/suggestions?

Mike Armstrong