[ANNOUNCEMENT] VNCj version 0.3

Tal Liron tliron "at" amherst.edu
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 21:26:12 +0000

Glenn,

> So, does a Java/cross-platform VNC solution exist or is it just wishful
> thinking?
>
> Now that all my hopes are dashed... ;)

Why on earth would you want a cross-platform VNC solution, especially in
Java? Java support isn't exactly across the board... There are VNC servers
for every operating system that has a Java platform, and for many more.

As for a cross-platform solution that isn't necessarily in Java - it's quite
impossible. The differences between operating systems are such that one
solution will never fit all. But again, I don't see why your hopes should be
dashed. VNC is free software, and people all around are porting it to more
and more platforms. Do you have a specific platform that is unsupported?
Then what you need is a VNC server for that platform, not a cross-platform
VNC server.

Again, I will stress that VNCj *does* implement a remote-control server.
Right now it is broken, but probably by next version it will be working.
Performance will be abysmal, but, hey, sometimes (not always) bad
performance is better than none. So, if you have a box that can run Java,
but doesn't have a VNC server, you will be able to use VNCj. This situation
seems very unlikely to me.

-Tal