[ANNOUNCEMENT] VNCj version 0.3

Tal Liron tliron "at" amherst.edu
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:16:08 +0000

Glenn,

The simple answer is: you can't. It's not meant for remote control of
desktops, but for offering services over VNC. You can call it: remote
controlling of applications. However, using Swing or AWT you can create a
"virtual desktop server", which is essentially what the X system is. I am
actually considering integrating VNCj into the JOS (Java Operating System)
project.

Another answer is: VNCj has a server called VNCRobot, which *does* allow
access to the desktop. Two problems: 1) Right now it is broken. It only
captures full screen and sends mouse events. 2) Even when fixed, it will
only support full screen updates, and in general performance will be
abysmal. The Robot server is intended to be an example of how to use VNCj;
it is not a real-world solution.

-Tal