Discovering VNC Servers

Jonathan Morton chromatix "at" penguinpowered.com
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:32:40 +0000

>Richard Spaven wrote:
>>
>> There is one for Windows called VNCScan - see http://tgcs.web-it.com/
>
>I don't suppose there is a mac & a Linux (CBI,KDE,GNOME) equivilant?

For Linux, try nmap.  It is a very flexible scanning tool, which can even
guess at what OS is running on the remote system and scan an entire
network.  It is capable of scanning a restricted range of ports (eg.
5900-5999, the range used by most VNC servers).  It comes with a graphical
front-end, or you can use the raw command-line tool.
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/  NB: this is both a security and a hacking
tool.  Use wisely.

There are also scanners available for Macintosh, I'm sure searches in the
right places will locate one that will serve the purpose.  I don't know of
one offhand that supports scanning of entire networks, but they surely
exist somewhere.  Writing an equivalent to VNCScan wouldn't be that hard,
either, using the PowerPlant framework.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
big-mail: chromatix "at" penguinpowered.com
uni-mail: j.d.morton "at" lancaster.ac.uk

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/vnc/