FW problem, VNCServer inside

Jonathan Morton chromatix "at" penguinpowered.com
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:22:06 +0000

>digging the mail archive and the website didn't help finding a solution
>for my problem.
>
>I have a Linux/WinNT Server inside a company LAN behind a firewall (Novell
>Bordermanager, afaik). The FW is making IP masquerading, don't block the
>most protocols. I need to access the server from outside. But i don't have any
>control over the FW :(
>
>I can make ssh tunnels from inside to outside, and i can see my external
>computers with vncviewer. But the other way is ... is it not possible ? Is
>there any trick to make a tunnel from inside to outside, which is open for
>both directions ?
>
>i would be glad  for some tipps and tricks.

How about setting up a script which can tunnel on receipt of an e-mail?
For security, I recommend using PGP-signed mail to validate requests.  Then
your script can open the SSH tunnel (this is the bit where I have no
experience...) and you're set.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
big-mail: chromatix "at" penguinpowered.com
uni-mail: j.d.morton "at" lancaster.ac.uk

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://www.chromatix.uklinux.net/vnc/