xstartup and Red Hat

Neil Zanella nzanella "at" cs.mun.ca
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 05:41:57 +0000

On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Edward Thompson wrote:

> Similiar confusion.  If I start up Linux as a console (own monitor), I get a
> Gnome screen with background, toolbar, icons on the wallpaper, etc...
>
> When I start up vnc, I get a grey background and one xterm window.  heaven
> fporbid I should kill that winodw - no way out but to restart vncserver in
> Linux.
>
> What am I missing?  I changed  .vnc/xstart to call gnome-wm instead of twm.
> What should I do instead/in addition?

I had the same problem on Red Hat 6.2 but for some odd reason after
reinstalling the latest version of VNC (version 3.3.r2 for Unix) I
got twm running instead of just the gray desktop. Strangely though
I am now experiencing keyboard problems. And by the way Red Hat does
not install a ~/.Xresources file in /home/* as there is no such file
in /etc/skel and thus the .vnc/xstartup file should really read:

if [ -f "$HOME/.Xresources" ]; then xrdb "$HOME/.Xresources"; fi

instead of

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources

In fact Red Hat places an Xresources file under:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources

Bye,

Neil