Mac memory usage (was: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Mac 68k-compatible vncPatches)

a.umpleby@ic.ac.uk a.umpleby "at" ic.ac.uk
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 21:15:03 +0000

>> IIsi w/ 9MB ram
>>
>> It's very dear to me....   Do't think it would ever handle 7.5
>
> Yes it would

agreed...

> System 7.5.5 takes up 1045k on a 4MB Mac Plus

Does that include Open Transport?
I suspect OT would grab an extra half meg or so for itself!

Also, if you want to run (an old version of) Quicktime, it
will bump it up a bit more.

Also... the system has a tendency to take away more the more
memory you actually have - I'm not sure how easy it is to
stop this happening (it might be possible - I've never looked
into it)...

I suspect that with both OT and QT it will be difficult to get
7.5.5 below 3MB when there is 9MB total available.

But please do let us know how you get on with VNC on 7.1!

Thanks!

Adrian