VNC vs PC Anywhere

Fri, 24 Nov 2000 15:17:47 +0000

Well, yes, by default.  However, there are several secure tunneling options,
including Zebedee, which works great out-of-the-box.  I posted a note on how
to do this a while ago...

Also, does anyone know what encryption method pcAnywhere uses and how long
the key length is??  Most of the products I've reviewed either won't specify
("It's proprietary!"), it's not documented, it's exceptionally weak, or it
suspiciously resembles 8-bit XOR...

-----Original Message-----
From: Some Guy [mailto:someguy47 "at" hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2000 3:10 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: VNC vs PC Anywhere

Hi,

for me, win2000 to my win98 system at home--pcANYWHERE is slightly faster
than VNC.  Plus, VNC has ZERO encryption, so when I'm testing a client's
account by logging in remotely from my house, VNC was a huge security risk!

I hope VNC will incorporate open ssl in the future.  It's a shame it is so
insecure.

Doug.